A company on a mission to set you free
Friend’s revolutionary platform will change the way we use computers. Delivering all our apps that you can access anytime, anywhere, no matter what hardware or software you use. It will enable the use of distributed computers to work together in a new worldwide network ecosystem. …outside the grasp of Big Tech corporations. Crucially, Friend has no interest in your personal data.
But if you’re satisfied with the offerings of Big Tech, you can keep them.
Keep your device. Keep your software. Your choice.
When you choose Friend you choose freedom.
What makes Friend OS different
The idea of leveraging the Internet to deliver software applications is not a new one: Google has done it. Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and Amazon also have cloud offerings. So what makes Friend different?
- The Friend OS is secure: The Friend OS uses https as well as blockchain technology to secure its apps as well as all transactions
- Users own their own data: Friend has no commercial interest in its users’ data to fuel either an advertising-driven business model (Google and Facebook) or a direct ecommerce model (Microsoft and Amazon)
- Commerce is secure: Commerce in the Friend Marketplace uses the Friend TKN, based on the Ethereum cryptocurrency
- Users choose their own software: Users build their own virtual computers to fit their needs (company administrators can limit what goes in an image)
- Friend will let you keep using your proprietary apps: Friend does not compel you to use Friend built software. Some users may prefer to use their favorite apps from Microsoft, Google, Apple, Adobe or other software vendors. Through the Friend OS, they can easily integrate those programs into their virtual computer image
- Virtual computer images can be shared: Once created, a virtual computer can be replicated and shared with others, allowing companies to equip multiple users/employees without purchasing expensive hardware
- Runs on any device: The friend virtual computer will run on any device that is connected to the internet either through a browser or through a Friend viewer app
The problem we are here to solve
Locked by ecosystem
We are limited by the OS platform on our devices, preventing interoperability between competing ecosystem and creating the opportunity for vendors to lock us in and limit choice.
Limited by hardware
Buying a computer (or mobile device) ties us to a narrow set of features without upgrade paths, leading to significant expense when further capability is needed. Additionally, applications work differently on each device and require us to remember multiple logins.
Fueled by data…YOURS!
Whether by conscious choice, robotic acceptance of user agreements, or mismanagement of security protocols our data is no longer our own. We store it in centralized systems that are vulnerable to attack while we give our data to large corporations who exploit them to lock us into their products and services.
Our team combines more than 130 years of engineering experience.
Our core team enjoys the great support of capable advisors with a broad range of expertise and experience.
Foundation / Pillars of Friend
Freedom is the driving force of progress and peace in our world and the very foundation of our company values. Freedom to choose our destiny; freedom to think; freedom to innovate; freedom to create; freedom to speak; freedom to connect and communicate; freedom to move and freedom to control our privacy.We seek to protect and spread these as well as other freedoms
Intelligence is fundamental to personal growth. It protects our freedom by allowing us to solve problems and make informed decisions. We want to help advance people’s personal development by enriching their intelligence through access to data. Intelligence through access to data processing. Through access to applications. Through accessible and easy to use services that can automate mundane tasks. Friend is a platform that will stand by your side and help you get more insight into your life.
Empowerment is the distribution of opportunity through capability. By making Friend free and open, anyone from all over the world gets access to powerful tools and vast storage space. It helps distribute increased access to education, employment opportunities and upward mobility. Friend users are powerful. And they get unrestricted access to build their future without needing to pay for the service — lowering the bar for personal empowerment all over the world.
Privacy is important to achieve a functioning democracy. The ability to keep secrets is not only good for the individual, but it is good for protecting others from raw unarticulated information that can be wielded to seed false narratives and misunderstandings. Privacy also protects the individual from structural or corporate abuse, where your data is sought for money and control. In Friend, we work vigorously to protect users’ privacy. By encrypting on the user’s own device, we protect the data before it is stored on the server. By allowing anonymous access to the Friend Network, we allow the user to choose if, how and when to expose his or her identity.
Integration is a way to simplify. Digital structures are getting increasingly complex, and by integrating data, devices and services, we try to organise the complexity in simpler forms. By aggregating a user’s piece of the internet pie into a Workspace, it can clean up the information into disks, directories and applications — it allows a user to clean up the internet like you would clean up a room in book shelves, drawers, devices, furniture and ornamentation. And it allows a user to integrate his or her digital life.
Friend is a humanitarian project. It was built on the dream of a truly free and future proof operating environment protected from corporate interests, financial limitations and enforced paradigms. It is built as an emergent and internet embedded infrastructure that seeks to distribute opportunity and capability to anyone with no discrimination.